Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hello, again.

I am still alive. I swear.

I've been away for the last two weeks or so. I knew I couldn't compete with any Grandparents with baby snuggles time and so planned my visit to see my new niece a few weeks well after her due date. And so have been in NC since literally, July.

It was really awesome to get to see her and sit on my sister's couch with a little baby napping on my chest, binge-watching Long Island Medium. We might've watched all three season on NetFlix, twice. There might've been a dozen donuts from Rise Donuts polished off, which if you're ever in the Raleigh area you should go to, every day, twice. And eat everything, which I definitely did not do. Twice. There is literally nothing better than a 6 week baby smiling at you. Even if it's immediately followed with that same baby pooping everywhere. You can't find a better medicine than a smiley baby.

I even managed to get some gardening in. Trying to earn my keep and realizing that while they may be damn good at birthing pretty babies, my sister and brother-in-law didn't have much of a garden to brag about this year. I don't know what could've kept them busy the last few months, but don't worry I properly scolded them for their gardening laziness. I think a certain 6-week old wasn't pulling her own weight. The day I left they had green beans, Swiss chard, basil and spinach sprouted and their two new tomatoes looked happy, we'll see what late summer and fall gives to them in vegetables.

Here's a few shots of the garden today, the green beans have really taken off and I'm hopeful that with the cooler temperature they have been having, the tomatoes will set fruit (they wont over 80-85 degrees).


I've tasked my Dad, who lives near my sister, with watering it and keeping and eye on things just in case the 6-week old continues to shirk her gardening duties.

Meanwhile back at home, I I left my garden in the hands of no less than 5 people (because I'm neurotic) and came back to a zucchini bigger than my forearm. Don't get me wrong, I am literally indebted to my fellow gardeners and roommate and friends  for keeping tabs on things and picking things so the plants didn't die off after fruiting, but I might've overdone it because all the watering and rain left me with a wicked case of powdery mildew, which KO'd my cucumbers and made of feast of my Squash. Silver lining: one of my fellow members who I had told to pick whatever she liked while I was gone, surprised me with a quart of my tomatoes that she had picked and jarred after she saw all my Romas ripen. It really made my day!


There'll be more later in the week, detailing fall plans, the ridiculous amount of food I've brought in from the garden this summer and what I've done with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment